Getting your home ready for showings can be a real challenge but it's even harder when you share your home with little ones.
The trick to selling a house with kids is to make it appeal to buyers who don't have any children. Here are a few tips to help you prepare your home for show with kids in tow:
- Depersonalize - It's important that buyers are able to imagine themselves living in your home so clear the artwork off the fridge and take down photos, awards and mementoes.
- Play Time's Over - Keep just one box of toys on hand and pack up the rest as they not only look unappealing but they also make rooms appear smaller.
- Go Clean Your Room! - Pack up stuffed animals, books and trophies. Any remaining items should be placed on shelves instead of the floor.
- Behind Closed Doors - Buyers can never get enough closet space so get rid of any clothes that your kids have outgrown or that are out-of-season.
- It's Time to Grow Up - Buyers should be able to visualize your playroom as their rec room so get rid of excess toys so that it will appear larger enough for their pool table.
- Curb Appeal - Don't leave toys, sidewalk chalk or bikes strewn outside your home as drive by viewings can occur at any time.
Selling your home is a great opportunity to de-clutter plus if you do it now, you won't have to worry about it when it comes time to move. Showings can happen in an instant so make sure you have a system in place that enables you to have everything ready to go in a matter of minutes. Although keeping everything perfectly staged with kids can be a challenge, it'll be well worth the effort in the end!