- Be Flexible - Aside from a lack of privacy, you'll be dealing with dust, noise, mess and disorganization. If you expect delays, you won’t be quite so frustrated when they occur.
- Time Is Money - Make sure you agree (in writing) on a completion date. Consider offering a bonus if the work's done before the date and a penalty for every day beyond.
- Stay In the Loop - Communication is key so schedule regular progress reports that include details on behind the scenes work such as wiring. Contractors don't like to be micromanaged but they shouldn't mind keeping you up date throughout the process.
- Kidding Around - Be sure to set aside some toys for the kids. Also, line up some playdates so you're able to escape the construction zone chaos. Finally, make a list of local outings for fun family getaways.
- Plan Ahead - Prepare and freeze meals in bulk for quick and easy dinners. Also, take this opportunity to donate unwanted items to charity so that your newly renovated home isn't full of unnecessary clutter.
Watching your home transform into something new is an exciting experience but it's also very inconvenient. The secret to making sure everything goes smoothly is to remain calm throughout the process and to plan ahead. If you keep that in mind, your dream home will be a reality before you know it!