The arrival of a new baby brings many responsibilities including baby proofing your home from top to bottom. Here are a few things to keep in mind when preparing your home for your new bundle of joy:
- Peekadoo - Make sure cabinets and drawers are equipped with safety latches.
- Tie Up Loose Ends - Tie up blind and curtain cords so they’re out of reach.
- Slam Jam - Install door stops/holders so their fingers don't get caught.
- Safety Deposit Jar - Keep spare change in a sealed jar as shiny coins can attract a baby's attention and can be easily choked on.
- Strong Attachments - Securely mount your bookshelves to the wall so if your little one decides to climb them, they won’t come tumbling down.
- It's Not a Shock - Cover unused electrical outlets with safety plugs so they're not able to shove keys or other objects into them.
- Supermax Security - Install a baby gate at the top and bottom of your staircase and make sure they're attached directly to the wall and not just pressure mounted.
It’s best to baby proof your home before your little one arrives as it'll be the last thing on your mind when you're a tired new parent! Getting down on all fours will help you see hazards from their perspective but to be extra safe, consider hiring a professional baby proofer.