It's critical to give prospective buyers a top notch first impression when selling your home. If you share your home with pets, you'll have to work extra hard to ensure it looks (and smells) its best.
Although you may consider your pets family, potential buyers will likely view them as a smelly nuisance. If you own pets, here are a few tips that will help you sell your home:
- Deep Clean - Steam clean all carpets, rugs and couches and make sure to vacuum your home every day.
- Do the Doo Doo - Don't forget to clean up outside before showings as people exploring your garden will be turned off by seeing or even worse, stepping in doggie doo doo.
- Gone to the Dogs - Most people don't want to be greeted by a strange dog when they enter a home. A whining dog in a crate is also a distraction so take Fido for a walk if you're unable to make other arrangements.
- Creepy Critters - Some purchasers may be too scared to tour a room that contains certain pets such as snakes or rodents. They may even decide to leave your home altogether so try and remove any creepy creatures before putting your home on the market.
- Breathe Easy - Few things are as offensive as the smells associated with animals. Buyers will be exploring the basement so make sure the litter tray is completely clean. Open up windows and simmer a few cinnamon sticks in water as buyers may be allergic to artificial scents.
- Fur Real - Clean pet hair out from under the stove, tables, blinds and all crevices. Aside from its unsightly appearance, many people suffer from allergies and you don't want them sniffling and sneezing while they're trying to view your home.
- Scratch the Surface - You're probably so used to your scratched and chewed up furniture that you don't even notice it, but buyers will. Inspect your home thoroughly and repair scratched areas including window frames, doors, floors and furniture.
It's essential to de-clutter and depersonalize your home before showings in order to create a great first impression, so don't forget to clear away pet beds, feeding bowls and play toys from both inside and outside your home. Even animal lovers will be put off by the hair, smell or mess pets can make so take these tips into account to ensure your furry friends don't soil your sale!
Post Your Comment: