Moving can be an exciting life change; however, it can also be a very stressful event if you're not properly prepared.
It's important to create a detailed checklist a few months ahead of time in order to ensure things go smoothly. Here are some points to get you started:
Two Months Before
- Itemize all of the major items you'll be moving.
- Get estimates and book the movers or rental truck.
- Start sucking up to friends and family for help!
- Have a garage sale to get rid of excess clutter.
One Month Before
- Update your insurance, medical and school records to your new location.
- Arrange to disconnect and reconnect utilities and telephone/Internet services.
- Notify any other important parties of your address changes.
A Few Weeks Before
- Plan meals so food in your fridge and freezer gets used up.
- Gather boxes and pack up items you don't regularly use.
- Arrange for someone to look after your pets on moving day.
- Return library materials and other rental items.
The Final Week
- Water your plants a couple of days before you move.
- Pack up belongings and clearly label items that are fragile.
- Pack a suitcase with items you'll need to get you through the first week in your new home.
- Gather valuable items such as legal documents and family photos so you can transport them yourself.
Day of the Move
- Double check the movers have your new address and cell phone number.
- Have lots of refreshments on hand for your busy helpers!
- Remove the light bulbs from all of your lamps.
- Make sure you have your new keys.
Moving causes a wide range of emotions from sadness to extreme excitement. Although moving can be stressful at times, a little bit of planning will provide you with some very valuable peace of mind. With the help of the above checklist, you can now breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy this exciting new phase of your life!