Buying local is a concept that's really starting to catch on. Here are just a few of the many advantages to buying locally grown produce:
- Nutritious - Minimizing transportation reduces damage and helps produce retain its nutritional value.
- Greener - Transporting food long distances is detrimental to the environment and there's also a huge amount of packaging involved.
- Tastier - Local food is much fresher because its vitality isn't affected by long distance travel. Produce is picked at peak freshness so it's loaded with taste.
- Supportive - Buying local helps support your local farmers and other residents. It also preserves farmland and wildlife from urban development.
- Convenient - Many communities have agricultural groups that provide a weekly box of fresh, locally grown produce that can oftentimes be delivered right to your door!
So there you have it -- buying local is better by miles! For a fun day out, visit a “pick your own” fruit farm. Not only will you be able to eat the tastiest fruit around but you'll also be able to help the environment by cutting down on packaging.
Post Your Comment: